Blog #2: Camila Martino
Dear future me, last week in Public Speaking, the class discussed changemakers who have revolutionized the United States ever since the country’s independence. Through these presentations, I learned that individuals from different centuries spread their ideas, leadership, and determination to influence society and leave a lasting impact on the country. I learned about people who have contributed to various areas, including politics, civil rights, art, science, and technology, which demonstrated the different ways meaningful change can occur in society. Learning about each changemaker’s impacts and how they shaped history made me feel very inspired and proud of the changes they have brought to the United States.
Each group presented a different century and highlighted changemakers of the time period they felt were the most inspiring to them, including events that shaped the era. I found it interesting to see how each generation of changemakers faced different challenges based on their generation, but still shared the common goal of creating opportunities for the next generation to improve society as a whole.
I enjoyed listening to all the different presentations. I found that each group was well prepared, organized, and engaging. The slides were presented in a clear manner, making them easy to follow, and I appreciated how some groups included visuals, videos, and interesting facts that helped the audience understand what life was like in the century discussed. It was evident that everyone possessed a strong understanding of the changemakers they chose to discuss.
Group 4 was the first to present their century, which was the 1700s. An era that was marked by the formation of the United States. During this period, the American colonies fought against the British for independence, which established the foundations of the nation through important documents such as the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. They decided to talk about John Locke, Crispus Attucks, Benjamin Franklin, Abigail Adams, George Washington, James Madison, and Mary Wollstonecraft. This presentation showed how the actions of these individuals contributed to the creation of the United States and its democratic ideals. Of all the changemakers discussed, I found Abigail Adams the most interesting because she advocated for women’s rights at a time when women had very few opportunities. Her efforts to encourage equality made a meaningful change that challenged the social norms of society at the time. Her decision to pressure lawmakers into considering the rights of women when creating a new government helped inspire future movements that fought for greater equality.
Group 3 discussed the 1800s. This period is known for the rapid growth, territorial expansion, and significant social change that occurred in the United States. Moreover the country expanded, experienced the many technological advancements the Industrial Revolution brought, and faced major conflicts like the Civil War. This century was also marked by movements that aimed to abolish slavery and promote equality for minorities. Many individuals stepped forward to face the new challenges that emerged in this era and advocated for reform and left a lasting impact on the country. This group discussed many changemakers, including Charles Darwin, Susan B. Anthony, and Nellie Bly. I was most inspired by Nellie Bly, whom I didn’t know about before this presentation. She was a journalist who, through undercover reporting, exposed abuse inside mental asylums and challenged gender barriers in the workplace. Her actions left a lasting impact on journalism and women’s rights.
Group 2 discussed the 1900s, which was one of the most transformative eras of American history and one of my personal favorite centuries to learn about. During this period, the country experienced major events such as World War I, World War II, the Great Depression, the Roaring Twenties, and the Cold War. The century also brought significant social changes, including the ratification of the 19th Amendment, which granted women the right to vote, and the Civil Rights movement, which brought greater equality for all Americans. I find this era especially interesting because so much has changed in regards to music, literature, politics, and popular culture. Many of my favorite books, such as The Great Gatsby, were written during this century, making it a fascinating period to study. This group talked about many changemakers, including Michael Jackson, Audrey Hepburn, Martin Luther King, and Princess Diana. Of all the changemakers discussed, my favorite was Michael Jackson. While he made many contributions to music, he is also one of my favorite artists. I have been listening to his music since I was about 4 years old, so learning about his impact was especially significant to me. His lasting impact on music and culture is one of the reasons I consider him one of the most influential changemakers of the twentieth century.
Group 1 presented the 2000s, a period that was characterized by rapid technological advancements such as smartphones, artificial intelligence, and social media. At the same time, the century began with tragic events such as the September 11 attacks, which had a significant impact on the United States and the rest of the world. This era resonates with me more than the others because I have lived through many of the events and technological changes discussed in the presentation. It was interesting to me to reflect on how society has changed in such a short period of time and how these developments continue to shape our lives. This group introduced many important changemakers, including Malala Yousafzai, Barack Obama, Steve Jobs, and Serena Williams. My favorite changemaker from this group was Malala Yousafzai because of her efforts to promote education and create opportunities for young people around the world.
Overall, I really enjoyed all of the presentations and believe that each group did an excellent job. The presentations were well organized, engaging, and informative, and it was clear that everyone had put significant effort into researching their changemakers. Learning about the contributions of these individuals gave me a greater appreciation for many people who created a lasting impact on American society and the rest of the world.
Comments
Post a Comment